It goes without saying that I am abundantly grateful for the obvious things; family, friends, health, etc. Almost every night before I go to sleep I start making a list of things that I am thankful for and before I know it I have drifted off to sleep. It’s a great practice to get into to remind yourself of all the wonderful things in your life. What I wanted to write about today was the little things that I am grateful for as well:
- 3 of Baillie’s best friends from high school – the sheer joy that came over Baillie yesterday when she got to see Skylar, Matthew and Hollywood (Mathew) almost brought me to tears. She loves these 3 friends more than I think any of them will ever know. I also love each of them as if they were my own child and am grateful for their presence in our lives.
- My vision – the thrill of being able to watch Abbey ride a horse is something I am abundantly grateful for. When there are people who are at the stable, who haven’t seen her ride before, more often than not they will stop and make some statement to us about how well she looks on the horse and how well she rides. It reminds me of a friend I had in high school who was a figure skater. I only got to see him skate once but watching him you just knew that’s where he belonged. I get that same feeling watching Abbey ride. It makes my heart sing every time.
- The stillness and quiet of early morning.
- Baillie’s tenacity – I am sometimes ungrateful for this trait when it’s being directed at me but overall I am grateful that I instilled this in her. She knows what she wants and nothing is going to stand in her way.
- Abbey’s compassion – the way this girl talks about the special needs kids that she works with on an every other day basis…you can just tell by her enthusiasm and passion that this was what she was meant to do in life. She also hasn’t met an animal that she didn’t love and want to bring home!
- The support of my family in helping me to pursue my photography business. It seriously means the world to me.
- My college photography professor who made me promise I would never give up my photography because I had such a natural eye for composition.
- My sister Lindley’s suggestion that we try changing our diet 6+ years ago before Jay had brain surgery. Jay didn’t have to have brain surgery and it has made us all healthier people. I can’t imagine where Jay and I, especially, would be had we not made this change.
- Great authors – we have recently cancelled our cable subscription and are going without “normal” TV (we still have our Netflix subscription) and that has caused me to start reading again! It’s wonderful how an author can draw a picture for you with words. I am also grateful that I read to my children when they were little. Abbey is finding out, from her classmates, that this didn’t happen with a lot of her friends. If you have children or grandchildren – READ TO THEM!!!! They will remember it and it will allow them to love reading as well.
- Crisp autumn days where the sun is shining
- The crunch of fall leaves under your feet
- The crunch of snow under your feet (although I haven’t been able to experience this in quite a while!)
- The colors in the sky at sunset
- Swings – I loved them as a child and still love them. I also passed this love to my children.
- The crackle, pop and glow of a wood fire
I could go on and on! Take some time today, and every day, to be grateful for the little things in your life. Be grateful for the big things too but don’t forget the little things that sometimes make up those big things! I wish everyone a safe and grateful Thanksgiving!